Blue Red Run - Running With Purpose

As we take off the starting line we come to a hill within the first quarter mile. I kid you not. I literally said aloud “is this a joke?” But for those with common sense and/or those with race experience you know that means the finish line is down hill. Praise Jesus for that.

We trek along a pretty flat course the rest of the way. No crazy cowtown hills or anything. Just a few rolling here and there. I see two girls in front of me. One takes off in almost a full sprint. Now let me preface by saying that when you witness this there are only 2 types of runners that they could be. The burn-out-at-mile-2 runner or the gonna-smoke-all-y’all runner. She was the smoke-all-y’all runner. 
Therefore, I chose girl #2 in front of me to follow. In all my experiences of cross country, I remember my coach always telling me to pick someone out in front of me (if there was someone) with a good pace and follow them and be patient to pass them. I patiently followed her until the turnaround point then passed her and found two guys to follow. I followed them because they had a good pace and because they could block the wind for me. My husband says that’s cheating but I think it’s just smart? 

The course was an “out and back” course so we passed some 5k’ers, 10k’ers, and probably some half marathoners on the way back. As we climb up the second to last hill, I take a look up and see this man running with a giant thin blue line flag tucked into a military issued backpack. As I got closer, I noticed he was wearing a weighted vest, and a gas mask. My first thought was “o lord can he breathe?” But I gave him a quick thumbs up and kept running so I didn’t lose my wind blockers. I mean pacers. 




After the race, I happened to walk right past this guy so I stopped to ask why he dressed the way he did. He explained to me that he was a war veteran and wanted to challenge himself in races such as these to honor fallen officers and fellow soldiers. I immediately felt inadequate but I thanked him for his service and asked for a picture with him. But that got me thinking about why I chose to run this particular race today. 

It’s more than just a race. It was a purpose. A cause. For the families left with noting but memories. Every sign along the course that pictured a fallen officer I think I sped up just a tad more each time. And almost teared up. Thinking about how that could’ve been my mom or dad on one of those posters. I could’ve grown up without one or both. How different my life could’ve been. I ran with gratitude that my parents get to watch my son grow up. How they were there at every soccer game, graduation, heartache, and only a phone call away when I needed them. Little things I always took for granted. The ultimate sacrifice will never go unnoticed. And for me, something I never truly grasped until recently. 

I say all this to merely say, when you run, support a cause, or do anything in life: do it with purpose. In everything you do, do it with purpose. And be thankful for what and who you have. 


Finally,  as we enter the season of giving thanks, I challenge y’all to find a cause y’all are passionate about and give back. It can be a race/walk, volunteer work, monetary gift, anything! But give back. 


*PS* I finished 1st in my age group and 2nd overall female with a PR!



Comments