Marathon Training With A Stroller

Marathon training is certainly not for the weak-hearted, weak-minded, or weak-spirited. It is something many think of as a "one and done" bucket list check mark. It is a remarkable accomplishment. When training for my first marathon (Dallas Marathon) in 2017, Caden was a baby and I stayed at home full time. Many of my training runs were done on the treadmill during nap times and a few were with the stroller (Caden was still in the infant carrier attachment and I was still trying to figure out this new life & running with a stroller thing). My long runs were done while Caden went to the local Mothers Day Out program twice a week. My mom actually followed me on her bike for my long runs because she was worried about me. My goal was simply to check a marathon off the list and be done. But like many other runners that just wasn't the case!

Fast forward to 2019. I completed my third marathon back in December 2019 at the Dallas Marathon. My entire training cycle was focused around my stroller runs. About 80-85% of my training runs were behind the stroller. What changed from then to now? Caden still goes to the same Mothers Day Out program, but instead of me going for my long runs on those days I now work part time for my family's business with my husband and father in law (my in laws own a jewelry store). I absolutely love working there and enjoy being able to contribute to something other than wiping noses, making lunch, and cleaning the house (mamas you know what I mean), but I definitely had to reconfigure my schedule and outlook on marathon training. I knew I had to make some changes, but how? Wake up early and run before the boys get up? Tried a few times, but its not really my thing. Run after Chris gets home from work? Tried, but after a long day of mommin and/or working then cooking and cleaning and waiting for Chris to get home I would usually be too tired. Run WITH Caden? Now we're talking!


I implemented stroller runs because I knew I wouldn't be able to get a lot of those necessary runs done otherwise. Sometimes we have to let go of excuses and do whatever it takes to just get the job done. Especially if its something we truly want to accomplish! It was a sacrifice, yet a blessing. Something I'll elaborate about in a different post is how important stroller runs are mentally for your kids! They learn to appreciate hard work and nature!
The longest training run we logged with our trusty BOB stroller was 15 miles. Im not even impressed with myself. Rather, I'm impressed with Caden for hanging in there for 2 hours! I didn't even let him have an ipad this go round either. It took lots of snacks, songs, conversations, and a nap but it was totally worth it!

I remember being frustrated and down sometimes after a run because I couldn't get to the pace I would be aiming for that day. It actually happened often. But I learned a mantra from my Momentum Jewelry wrap that went "find joy in the journey" and it resonated with me. That's what its all about in this season of training and mother hood - finding joy in the journey. Even when its hard, stressful, and you feel like you are failing- there is always JOY to be found.

 So going into race day I was a little nervous about my performance since I wasn't exactly hitting all the target paces during training.. I PR'd that day with a 3:47. My goal was to just break the 4 hour mark. I was honestly SHOCKED at how great I felt that day.


 I owe that day to Caden for sticking with me through all the miles and runs and to my husband for supporting me and believing I was capable. That day proved to me, and hopefully to other moms out there, that the stroller actually makes you STRONGER and FASTER. Even if the pace isn't showing after your stroller runs, once you're out from behind that stroller you will feel so light and so fast! Not to mention MENTALLY tough as nails!!!!
 And if anyone can do it, it's a mother runner.

So for all you moms out there who don't have the luxury to get your runs in alone in the peace and quiet. I hear you. Put those kids in the stroller and go for a run! Make it a consistent part of their routine and before you know it, they'll be asking if they get to run with you that day. It requires preparation like lots of snacks, water/juice, entertainment of some sort, and LOTS of prayers and patience, but it is SO worth it. You'll be glad you started it.



I recommend the BOB jogging stroller. Mine is an older model as I've had it since 2016, but I run with the Revolution. My BOB has THOUSANDS of miles on it and still works amazing. I've had 0 problems with it!
You can also purchase BOB jogging strollers on Amazon, Buy Buy Baby, and Target.

Here are the attachments I have for my BOB and I am constantly updating it! BOB Essentials
The Weather Shield (pictured above) sells out super fast everywhere, but here is the current link to purchase it! weather shield

Comments