Why I Hired A Run Coach

My running journey began as a one & done marathon in 2017. If you've been following my journey for a while, you know that wasn't what ended up happening. After completing the Dallas Marathon in 2017 I was HOOKED on marathons... Something I honestly never thought I would say because lets be honest.. that's not a normal thing to say.


After completing the Dallas Marathon in 2019 (my third marathon) I knew I had it in me to qualify for the Boston Marathon. It had always been a dream in the back of my head, but I honestly was never sure if I could REALLY do it. After that PR in Dec 2019, I fully and whole-heatedly believed I COULD. I knew I needed help though. If I was going to do this, I wanted to DO IT all the way and be serious about it.

 In Feb 2020 I hired a run coach. I researched a plethora of different coaches, coaching programs, coaching teams. etc and really dove into what I needed physically, emotionally, and financially as a mom and runner. There are so many amazing coaches out there I knew it was going to be a tough decision! I wanted to do what was best for my needs and schedule and bank account.
I found a local run coach who has a phenomenal reputation in the area. He would run with me a few times a month, was in my budget, and would personalize a training program for ME not just a blanket program based on my age and finishing times... I needed someone who could handle my stroller strides needs, busy schedule, and more.

I just finished month #2 with my run coach and let me tell you... it was the BEST decision I could've made for myself. He does, indeed, run with me at least every other week, the program is PERFECT for my schedule and needs, budget is PERFECT, and he keeps the communication open and adjusts the weekly workload based on how I feel, etc. He is super understanding and adapts!

Like I said, there are SO MANY amazing run coaches out there so if you are looking into hiring one PLEASE research, ask questions, creep, whatever you need to do to make sure its the right fit for you!
If you are SERIOUS about boston qualifying and you are super busy and/or a busy mom like me I highly highly recommend a coach to keep you on track.
Programming is just one less thing you have to worry about doing and it gives you guidance and structure!

Comments